Our debate sessions are back for 2014 and we want YOU to be part of them.
We experimented with Google+ Hangouts last year and it turned out to be a great way to discuss some of the issues surrounding building a house or renovating an existing property. It was also an opportunity to see how approaches vary around the world and to share the best information.
Here's an example of what it looks like (in case you're not familiar with the concept of Google+ Hangouts):
Topics for 2014
1. What makes an aesthetically beautiful house? (Saturday, February 22 at 12.30pm GMT)
2. Why are more people not retrofitting (or weatherizing) their homes? (Friday, March 14 at 8.00pm GMT)
3. Getting value for money when buying land (Wednesday, April 2 at 8.00pm GMT+1)
4. Should my house be off-grid? (Saturday, April 26 at 5.00pm GMT+1)
5. Passivhaus principles or Passivhaus standard? (Friday, May 23 at 8.00pm GMT+1)
6. Getting a house through planning (Monday, June 30 at 8.00pm GMT+1)
7. Is the cohousing movement significant to self-builders? (Saturday, July 26 at 1.00pm GMT+1)
8. How is the internet changing house building? (Wednesday, August 20 at 8.00pm GMT+1)
9. How can you stick to your budget? (Sunday, September 28 at 7.00pm GMT+1)
10. Uniting the team on your build (Monday, October 20 at 8.30pm GMT+1)
11. Do I need renewables on my project? (Saturday, November 15 at 12.30pm GMT)
12. Self build advice from those that have been there done it (Friday, December 5 at 8.00pm GMT)
Although we're booking some of the guests for each Google+ Hangout, we will leave the other half open to any of the House Planning Help community. On the whole we'll also aim to have an even mix of a couple of self-builders and a couple of construction industry professionals.
- A computer with a webcam and access to the internet (preferably a high speed or fibre connection).
- To have a Google+ account (but this only takes a few minutes to set up if you don't have one).
- Opinions! You don't have to be an expert but you do have to be passionate about building a house (even if you are just beginning your journey).
Ideally you will also have an external mic to plug into your computer so the sound quality is as good as possible. We recommend the ATR2100 but the price does really vary according to which country you're in.
If you would like to take part, please email us stating which event you would like to attend.
While we can't guarantee that we can include you on a specific hangout, hopefully we can accommodate you in a future event.